Tuesday, October 5, 2010

THE GREEN MILE: The Journey of a GREEN TEAM Volunteer


It’s been a year since I openly expressed my support for Sec. Gilbert Gibo Teodoro, when I saw him in one of the ANC sponsored forums over at Youtube. I really was convinced to support him during the Lakas-Kampi-CMD National Directorate Deliberation when Sec. Teodoro made mention of several terms I believe in- the principles of Subsidiarity and Solidarity.

A few days after, I found myself defending Sec. Teodoro against those critics who were blaming him for what happened during Typhoons Ondoy and Peping, with of course, the only CERTIFIED GREENIES I KNOW THEN, Joyie Dimayuga and Michael Ong. Some people sent me nasty messages that I was being paid by the administration to do the defense. I asked myself the question, was it worth it to defend a Presidentiable languishing at the bottom of surveys? Of course, my personal conviction would always outweigh the practicality of not defending him.

After the typhoon, Atty. Lambino, Mike Ong, Joyie Dimayuga and I met, through the initiative of Mike Ong. Barely do I know the two have already been doing some sort of campaigning for Sec. Gibo. And take note, we only got to know each other through Facebook. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think this will be a start of something new in Philippine Politics, a campaign organization ran through Facebook.

Having created ALL the POSSIBLE GIBO FAN PAGES in FACEBOOK, Michael Ong and Atty. Lambino directed the rest of the supporters to viral the page to all Gibonians. Never in my wildest dreams did I also imagine that it would grow to this much, and people will be very active till now in their support for the former Defense Secretary.

The GREEN TEAM was formed out of our genuine and sincere love for the country, it grew because of the passion of a few people and it stayed because of the unwavering love of each and every volunteer towards the cause and towards each other. We never tried to outdo each other, grab the other's limelight, even fight amongst ourselves who will get what if ever Gibo Teodoro wins.


My role in the campaign grew as time goes by, thanks to that evening in YSpeak where Mike Ong allowed me to speak in behalf of Sec. Teodoro as his Youth Representative. It was only a beginning of things to come. Of course, I never fail to thank those people who gave me the chance to really show the country what I'm made of.





After my second forum representing Sec. Teodoro, the reward was to finally meet him in person. We were called to the Dept. of National Defense to have a meeting with the former Defense Secretary to discuss his candidacy and his wrap up duties with the DND. Sec. Teodoro was very warm, very eloquent, but very cool in his approach. My dad even asked the first question in the meeting, even before I could ask one.

Succeeding youth forums came, and several Presidential forums came about, where of course, I was asked to speak about Gibo's platforms and programs. I knew several things about Sec. Teodoro, but since I was still clueless on several issues and his stance on those, I had to trust my instincts I know what I should give out.

The biggest break came late in the year when I and Mike Ong got invited to join the platform making team of Lakas-Kampi-CMD, with Mr. Francis Manglapus, Former PGMA Spokesperson Gary Olivar, Prof. Tereso Tullao, Political analyst Alex Magno and Rep. Nograles think tank RV Vicerra. It was such a privelege to be part of the team. Well, all I did that time was try to edit and type all those ideas they had in mind. However, I could already smell something wrong with someone I would rather not mention in this article, who later on turned his back on Sec. Teodoro.

So, we were left to scratch, and while I continued to represent Sec. Teodoro in youth forums, and organize people to come to Presidential Forums and Lakas events, I was tasked by then Sec. Gen. Manglapus to help in the designing of the Party Platform (which was basically Sec. Teodoro's platform). This was the tough part, because it was very hard to live up to the ideals of a Gilbert Gibo Teodoro, Harvard graduate, Bar topnotcher.



Well, what I did was I tried to incorporate some of my ideals with that of Secretary Teodoro's, particularly on the platform on Education, Jobs Generation, and Climate Change and particularly, when it comes to Constitutional Reform. Good thing, it was a match. With Mr. RV Vicerra's experience in doing stands on various issues, we were able to craft the RENEWING THE FILIPINO SPIRIT (SULONG PILIPINAS PLATFORM) of LAKAS-KAMPI-CMD.

After representing Sec. Teodoro, I became simultaneously Lakas-Kampi-CMD Presidential Campaign Platform Spokesperson and GT2010 Spokesperson.

There had to be a talking head about the platform of course, and that was the time Mr. Manglapus allowed me to represent the party and Sec. Teodoro as the platform Spokesperson, of course still relative to my representation as GT2010 Spokesperson/Communications Director. It was the toughest job I had to do ever, representing Sec. Teodoro in forums with distinguished representatives from other political parties, who have a more vast experience in terms of the political system. Yes, I was dealing with 40, 50, 60 plus year old people, but it was a challenge I always welcomed with great determination. There was a time I even had to speak in front of an international audience (Asia Pacific International Conference), where I came unprepared and not knowing what to talk about. It was such a hard, but learning experience. Everyday calls from provincial radio outfits served as my breakfast, forums and interviews served as a routinary activity and TV guestings were always there from time to time, from TV Patrol World, to two guestings at Strictly Politics, to even Destiny Cable's exclusive GNN Network. I will allow those who witnessed those to be the perfect judge on how I fared.

Meanwhile, of course, the GREEN TEAM MOVEMENT started to grow because of the collective effort of the founding members, which saw the inclusion of Tony Igcalinos et. al, who were really great assets in the campaign. We started having chapters nationwide, through the USE of FB and our WEBSITE, which saw the numbers grow to 80+ by the end of the elections, given the lack of material resources during the campaign period.

So many names, so many heroes, so many people from various walks of life gathered around the cause. You had transport leaders, socialites, marginalized sector people, students, middle class people, all under one plane, the SULONG PILIPINAS PLANE of Sec. Teodoro.


Perhaps, the defining moment in the campaign came in the middle of the betrayal of party members, when I, Tony and Tita Camille decided to stage a PRESS CONFERENCE in protest of what happened with party members. It was such a rallying point for all of us who were starting to have a low morale. That event sprung several Berde-8 events crowded by more than 500 volunteers. That event paved the way for the number of volunteers to multiply by double or triple.

Of course, some groups would credit themselves for that, but then again, GOD KNOWS WHO REALLY DID ALL THE WORK and THOSE WHO WERE JUST TRYING TO MAKE A SCENE.

The campaign had this trademark of POSITIVITY, and even until the last minute before Sec. Teodoro conceded at the Lakas-Kampi HQ, he and the campaign displayed a great amount of professional behavior, despite the impending and eventual defeat.

People were crying, some were depressed, but I, and a few people saw the perfect opportunity to grow, to grow as individuals, and politically mature citizens.

Right now, more than defeat, when I look back exactly a year after the journey, and with the FORMAL REVOLUTION of GT2010 to GTP, I look back at good old days, and my humble beginnings, the organization's humble start.

It's grown to a magnitude we never imagined, and whatever people say, I'm proud to have chosen GREEN, whether GREEN is a majority and a minority.

Today, the circumstances have pretty much changed from where it was a year ago. I now head an organization which is really non-partisan called Youth Philippines as its Secretary-General. Because of the mileage I gained during the campaign, I've received numerous invites to talk in campuses, schools, which I find it surprising know me and what I did. This ain't a manifestation of boastfulness, but it is a remark borne out of my surprise to the fruits of what I labored during the elections.

Today, the organization I used to represent as Spokesperson is working on a different plane, re-organizing itself to become a different specie, a politically engaged, non-partisan, socio-civic organization. A lot of people have remained loyal to the cause, but many of the faces I used to see before are not around anymore. But that's change for you, and that's how life goes.

Looking back and moving forward, NOTHING can equal to the experience of being a GREEN TEAMER, paving the way for many personal opportunities to grow, to get exposed and to have so much mileage as a result of hardwork, perseverance and genuine love for country.


GREEN TEAM, may it be 2010, or Pilipinas, will always be known to overcoming difficulties, overcoming trials, beating odds. I know, deep inside my heart, that this movement is not about Mike Ong, or me, or anyone who had a major part in the campaign. This is about the KIND-HEARTED, LOVING VOLUNTEERS WHO GAVE IT THEIR ALL FOR THE COUNTRY THEY LOVE. SOME MAY HAVE OVERREACTED, SOME MAY HAVE GONE BEYOND THE BORDER, but NO ONE CAN DOUBT THE SPIRIT OF NATIONALISM WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THE GREEN TEAM MOVEMENT.

This is the PERFECT TIME to say THANK YOU to those leaders I have looked upon in GREEN TEAM (whether Pilipinas or 2010), for without you, I would not have been myself today. With a humble heart, I dedicate whatever I have to your genuine trust, friendship and most importantly love. I have always CONSIDERED GREEN TEAM to be my HOME, where a great family was always READY to welcome, whether it was a good or bad day. I have always COSNIDERED the BOND we've had as an integral part of who I am today.

YOUTH PHILIPPINES is a new journey, but as they always say... "ONCE A GREENIE, ALWAYS A GREENIE"


This is Aaron Benedict De Leon, not the spokesperson of GREEN TEAM PILIPINAS any longer, but will always embody the spirit of a GREEN TEAM VOLUNTEER, whether its GREEN TEAM 2010, or GREEN TEAM PILIPINAS.

1 comment:

  1. Sheryll Gomez-GTP Camarines Sur ChapterOctober 6, 2010 at 6:50 PM

    After reading this, I somehow felt the same old feeling but I told myself I shouldn't be for what we had experienced during the campaign will be a memory we'll forever cherish.We may have lost in this quest but our choice in voting for the right person was one great act we should be proud of. After all, we did it for our love to our country. Moreover, we have gained friends and we will remain this way even after the Election fever has ended already.We'll continue to pray for the betterment of our country.
    I remembered one message forwarded from a Certified Greenie from NCR right after Sir G1bo conceded.The message somehow uplifted my lowly spirit then.It stated "When God gave us NO for an answer, keep in mind that there is a much greater YES behind it. His NO was not a rejection but a redirection. Let us be positive and move on together. This will be a challenge for us..." Every time I feel saddened with what's going on with our country nowadays, I open this message just to remind myself not to feel that way but to feel even prouder that I, We have chosen the next great President this country could ever have.
    As we go on with our individual lives, as we move forward, what we had will serve as inspiration for us Greenies to continue what we have started. What we sow, we will reap. In God's perfect time. Sulong! Go G1bo!

    ReplyDelete